How to Prepare for the TOEFL
Posted on May 31st, 2023 in Tests
The TOEFL, or Test of English as a Foreign Language, is an exam that measures your competency of the English language. It requires you to understand and respond to English at a college level. Earning a high score on the TOEFL means you are capable of attending a U.S. college and participating in college lectures just like native English speakers. There are many ways you can prepare for the TOEFL to receive the best possible score.
- Practice English by submersing yourself in the language. Do this by speaking and listening to English. Watch English-language television shows and movies and listen to English radio programs. When speaking to family or friends, you should talk in English. By practicing the language as much as you can, you will feel more comfortable with it.
- Familiarize yourself with the TOEFL format. The exam is an Internet-based test, so you will want to familiarize yourself with the keyboard and computer testing. In a few locations that do not have Internet access, the TOEFL is a paper-based exam.
- Complete a practice TOEFL online. Visit a website such as TestMagic.com, and take a practice test, allowing the program to calculate your results. Review the questions you missed. Because there is an essay portion, you will want to practice writing an essay in the prescribed amount of time as well.
- Find college and academic textbooks written in English and read them. Reading online collegiate essays is another great idea. After reading the books or essays, write a summary of what you read to reinforce your understanding of the language.
- Make a recording of yourself using a tape recorder speaking in English. After you listen to it, judge how well your command of the language is.
Incoming search terms:
Tags: college lectures, computer testing, high score, native english speakers, writing an essay